From Person-Centered Care to Self-directed Support
Training-action program for social workers from municipalities and NGOs.
“All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights” (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1, 1948)
In the last years the person-centered approach has been consolidated and social workers use it for their interventions. Today we know that it is not so much about putting the person in the center and social workers making decisions on behalf of that person, based on his/her will and rights, but about offering the support the person needs to be able to make his/her own decisions.
The European Model of Self-directed Support seeks to guarantee and preserve this approach: to support and escort the people who approach the Social Services in taking decisions so, at every moment, they have the possibility of choosing and controlling how the action or support plan is organized to achieve the results agreed with the professionals, based on the person will and rights.
To introduce the approach of Self-directed Support in the care of users of Social Services of public institutions and the third sector, considering the different situations and variants of profiles that social workers must attend.
Social workers of municipalities or third sector organisations.
Format and duration
Online, through the Zoom platform. Editions in spanish and in catalan. The course consists of 24,5 hours divided into 6 theorical workshops and 5 practical sessions.
- Theoretical framework of Person-Centered Care (PCC) and Self-directed Support
- PCC and Self-directed Support in the intervention with people with disabilities
- PCC and Self-directed Support in the intervention with people with mental health problems and / or addictions
- PCC and Self-directed Support in the intervention with the elderly
- PCC and Self-directed Support in the intervention with homeless people
- PCC and Self-directed Support in the intervention with women victims of sexist violence
- Practical session 1 – Defining customization and control
- Practical session 2 – Supporting Roles of the Self-Directed Support
- Practical Session 3 – Co-production, at the heart of Self-Directed Support
- Workshop 4 – Person-centered evaluation and decision-making
- Practical Session 5 – Elaboration of personal plans, with the community as a living scenario
Price and registration
Open editions: €285 per professional (40% discount for iSocial member organisations). Next edition: January-April 2023.
For editions commissioned, the contracting price of the full course is €3,970 and allows the participation of teams of up to 25 professionals.
This training program can be complemented after with an advisor service for the practical implementation of this methodology.
Team of 8 experts linked to different universities, municipalities and social NGO, and with a long history of work in the Social Services sector. Consult the names and CVs of the teachers in the PDF brochure of the course, by clicking on the “More information” button.
Nuria Ambrós: Graduate in psychology, graduated in teaching, social education and learning management in organizations, and master’s degree in integration of people with intellectual disabilities. For the last ten years she has specialized in training, advising and accompanying third sector organizations throughout Spain in the implementation of person-centered practices.
In collaboration with